29 September 2008

Pop Songs

R.E.M. were the very first band I got into properly in 1995 at the youthful age of 15. I used to play an old tape copy of Monster over and over again until I knew the songs backwards. Even though their recent albums haven't set the world on fire they're still my favourite band because I listened to the older albums so many times. And because I learned so much about the history behind the songs and behind the band members. And because Peter Buck looks so bored in the Shiny Happy People video. In the days of iPods that hold thousands of songs it's hard to get into music in that much depth any more, so it makes a welcome change to listen to an old R.E.M. album that I know almost everything about. All this is a long-winded way of saying that on this blog an R.E.M. fan has taken up the challenge of writing about every song the band has ever released, and Michael Stipe has even posted some of his own comments on it. My favourite song is covered here. If you like R.E.M., take a look.

No comments: